Saturday, December 29, 2007

Modern-day Austen? I think not!

Since I'm trying to do what I can to recover from my cold, I spent most of the day today sitting on the couch, watching movies on TV and reading Jane Austen. It's not a very auspicious beginning to my new curly life, but it was interesting to read Austen's characters and then observe the actions of my family members. If I had her skill with a pen (or computer keyboard), they would seem to be straight out of one of her novels. Some of them would be silly characters, like Mrs. Bennet in Pride & Prejudice. Some would be hypochondriacs like Mr. Woodhouse in Emma, and one or two would be like Henry in Northanger Abbey, always ready to tease...

My favorite observations of the day:

- My 80-year-old grandfather, visiting for the holidays, walked in the door after his two mile walk this morning and announced, "I'm home! I'm home, you lucky people! You lucky fools!"

- After spending the day with some friends, my grandparents told me all about the visit over dinner. My grandfather laughed, "Oh, that mother was jolly!" Replied my grandmother, "Oh yes!" To me - "You would have liked it. She was very jolly!" (This was the first time in my life that I have heard either grandparent use the word 'jolly.')

- My mother's 'friend' is in town for the holidays, and his father called tonight. When the call was over, my mother immediately asked about it. "Is everything okay?"
"Yes. They were just itching to make a phone call."
"Oh."
There was a moment of silence, and then, "Were they calling from your sister's?"
"Yes."
"Okay."
And that was it. There was no further curiosity about the telephone call from anyone.

(That last was probably one of those "You had to be there" moments, but it was very Austen-esque.)

No comments: